[Vision2020] Applying for Law School

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 11:47:46 PST 2006

On 12/22/06, Sunil Ramalingam <sunilramalingam at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I think you need to identify what you want to do and where you want to live
> when you're done.  Often the answers to both questions change as you go
> through school.

Those are the easy questions. I'd like to end up practicing in Idaho
or Washington -- though, if I do end up in Washington, I'm likely to
take the Idaho bar and wait for reciprocity, rather than cross the
border and do Washington first. I'm also likely to get suckered into
doing non-profit work no matter what I do -- because, apparently, I am
a total sucker. Hopefully, that would mean staff attorney for a policy
nonprofit (WCSAP, WSCADV, ICDVVA, ACLU, Columbia Legal Services) but
might well end up at something like IDLAS or Northwest Justice
Project. Either would be fine.

Deputy Prosecutor somewhere would be fine, too, though I dread carting
around a twenty-pound mail bin of identical MIP and DWI cases.

> Feel free to contact me off-list.  Back when I was applying I looked at a
> lot of schools, and I doubt there have been a whole lot of changes.

Evalulating my chances is difficult, given that I have an application
that's going to look erratic. I have an undergrad in anthropology, but
with a starkly unimpressive GPA. I ended up with a 163 on the LSAT,
which is more than enough for anywhere I can actually afford. I also
have two years' experience as ATVP's legal advocate, great
recommendations, and the words 'Executive Director' on my resume.

Attending UI would be ideal, simply because my wife is doing the
work+graduate deree thing and wouldn't be able to do otherwise.

--ACS