[Vision2020] A Polite Request

Tony tonytime at clearwire.net
Thu Dec 21 07:07:47 PST 2006

Saundra, I found your response to Chas' call for civility to be both
fascinating and sincere.  You mention that both liberals as well as
conservatives have demonstrated a lack of interest in "harmony and
consideration and diversity and mutual respect."  Curiously though, it may
be a very real demand for diversity which fuels them both.  A genuine
diversity that allows ALL sides of an argument a fair hearing, with neither
one automatically derided as "reactionary" or some other dismissive epithet.

I do have to take issue with your characterization of me as both a racist
and a sexist.  My use of the term RAGHEAD which you misunderstood to be an
assault on all Muslims, was in fact intended to malign ONLY those bomb
throwing sociopaths who have given that faith a bad name.  I pointed this
intent of mine out several times - you choose to disregard my own motivation
in favor of that which you would attribute erroneously to me.  As for sexual
harassment, none has taken place.  I used some innocent and playful
approaches in some cases which only a very uptight and manifestly intolerant
individual would find unacceptable in a free country.  In some cases this
approach was used when I was similarly chided.  I think we need to allow one
another a little latitude to express ourselves as we are accustomed.  If we
disagree we are free to dissent.  If we are too whacked out, no one will
respond and we will be excluded from the table of civilized society.  But if
our views are forcefully presented but sincere and heartfelt, how could
another fault us simply because we failed to employ their favorite cliché's
or adhere to their particular orthodoxy?

Your message ended with a most incredible bit of indignation.  You call me
intolerant for highlighting the fact that Christmas is a celebration of
CHRIST'S birth!  I was saying absolutely NOTHING about any other religion.
I was not demanding exclusion of ANY other religion.  It was presumptuous of
you too assume that such was the case.  You insist that I am racist and
exclusionary and then condemn me for behaviors I have not demonstrated.  I
highlighted CHRIST'S name because this is a celebration of HIS birthday -
period.  Switch to decaff for Pete's sake.

We have ALL been the targets of "dismissive, hurtful and unfair" commentary
from time to time.  Some of us can tolerate it due to a genuine appreciation
for, and understanding of, the first amendment - others apparently cannot.

Have a blessed CHRISTmas!   -Tony