[Vision2020] A Polite Request

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 01:43:43 PST 2006

On 12/21/06, Saundra Lund <sslund at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> Hi Chas & All Visionaries,

> Having been around the Viz block a time or two or three or four, it seems
> like someone always expresses a similar sentiment around this time of year.

Just to clarify, there is nothing special to me about this time of
year.  I probably dislike this season more than any other.  I can't
stand most Christmas music, and I never want to see Santa, Rudolph,
Frosty, the Grinch, or a nativity creche, ever again.  I don't even
necessarily believe in the historicity of Jesus.

HOWEVER, I picked the Christmas season to pose my polite request
because I know that I am in the minority, and that many people are
more receptive to these sorts of sentiments during this month.  I've
been wanting to say it for a long time, and now seemed an opportune
time to do so.

> You -- or whoever -- gets to feel good for making such a reasonable request,

I'm don't do anything for brownie points, or kudos, and I'm not into
self-congratulations.  The whole concept of brownie points makes me
squeamish.  I've thrown away every plaque or merit badge I've ever
earned.    I disposed of every medal and ribbon that the Air Force
awarded me.  In short, there was no "feel good" motive involved.  I
made my request, to be blunt, because juvenile behavior disgusts me.
I don't find it particularly excusable even in juveniles.

> Quite frankly, it also troubles me, Chas, that with your itemized list, you targeted only one aspect of a complete picture

I'm not embarrassed by the behavior of people who are on the same
team.  Their poor behavior might possibly confirm my low opinion, but
it doesn't make me ashamed via association.

> I suppose one could interpret it in a positive manner:  you have higher
> expectations from some than you do of others.  Fair enough on the surface.  but it's also a double standard, so it's *not* fair enough.

If I didn't believe that we were better, I wouldn't be batting for
this side.  I would switch teams.  I have no vested interest in either
side.  My only interest is in my perception of truth, however faulty
that may be.  If I woke up tomorrow with conservative values, I'd
analyze them, and discard them if I found them wanting, but embrace
them if they lived up to rational scrutiny.  I'm on the liberal side
because I think we are right; we SHOULD behave better.  If we don't,
then we are no better than our adversaries.

Anyway, that's my opinion, I hope I haven't offended.  The friends
I've made on this list are important to me, even if some of what I've
said above might seem to indicate otherwise.

Merry Christmas,

Chas