[Vision2020] A Polite Request

Saundra Lund sslund at roadrunner.com
Thu Dec 21 00:23:06 PST 2006

Hi Chas & All Visionaries,

I appreciate the request . . . and the sentiment behind it.  Really, I do!

However, while I appreciate the sentiment, it troubles me at the same time.
Having been around the Viz block a time or two or three or four, it seems
like someone always expresses a similar sentiment around this time of year.
And, my perception is that is has little effect:  those who try to play
nicely most of the time will continue to do so . . . and to apologize when
they cross a line, and those who have no interest in harmony and
consideration and diversity and mutual respect will continue on their chosen
paths.

You -- or whoever -- gets to feel good for making such a reasonable request,
but the effect is minimal for a community atmosphere here, I'm sorry to say.

So, go ahead, folks, and take your shots at me for being a Scrooge or a
Realist or a Pessimist or whatever.  Fool me once, shame on you, but fool me
twice, shame on *me.*  Been there, done that . . . and I've seen time and
again that such a request relies on the good will of *all,* and the sad fact
is that some here don't have that good will.  Period.

Quite frankly, it also troubles me, Chas, that with your itemized list, you
targeted only one aspect of a complete picture.  It's kind of the same
problem I had with Roger Falen's post:  had he spoken out against Tony's
racism or sexual harassment or sweeping generalizations targeted towards
individuals or even *one* of the personal attacks by reactionaries against
liberals that would have been one thing, but when he chose to speak out --
publicly -- against someone who has been specifically targeted while
remaining mute against the multitude of other transgressions, that speaks
volumes in my book.

I've read your subsequent post, and I understand your point, but some of us
here have been trying to show love for a long time.  And, when your itemized
list targets *only* one side, it's hurtful and dismissive and disrespectful
to *all* the other sides as well, you know?  The outing of personal
information, the targeting of family members, the stalking, the
name-calling, the threatening of economic livelihood, the public & private
sexual harassment, the *true* intolerance (vs the trite "Intolerista"), the
outright refusal of some to address others with *basic* respect when
repeatedly requested (Mr. Gier vs Dr. Gier, Mrs. Lund vs Ms. Lund, Mary vs
Joan, etc.) . . . well, it's dismissive and hurtful . . . and unfair.  And
we do NO ONE any favors when turning a blind eye to *all* sides of a dispute
. . .

I suppose one could interpret it in a positive manner:  you have higher
expectations from some than you do of others.  Fair enough on the surface .
. . but it's also a double standard, so it's *not* fair enough.

One of my holiday wishes (in addition to world peace and the end of hunger &
inadequate medical care and intolerance and bigotry and racism and sexism
and child abuse and elder abuse and animal abuse and corruption and
religious intolerance and . . .and . . . and . . . and . . . ) is that your
polite request will have an effect on those who need it.

But, I also hope that it won't have a silencing effect on those who have
been mistreated and misrepresented on V2020!  I hope people will support
their opinions with facts rather than simply parroting any "party line."
When challenged, I hope they will respond with rationality and substance
rather than emotion and personal attacks.

And, I hope that we can send each other ***genuine*** holiday wishes rather
than trying to fit all into our own narrow little boxes.  That includes the
disrespectful of diversity capitalization of "CHRISTmas"!  Or, do you just
want to ignore that???

Happy Holidays,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
- Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2006, Saundra Lund.
Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside the Vision 2020 forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****