[Vision2020] the Princess, Part 5 (Imprecatory Prayer)

Taro Tanaka taro_tanaka at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 12 15:05:47 PST 2006

Mr. Metzler puts words in my mouth. He claims I wrote in defense of Doug
Wilson; however, I made no mention of Doug Wilson. As usual, Mr. Metzler
assumes too much. He still believes in the infallibility of old Pater
Nostril. He not only puts words in my mouth based on his assumptions
concerning me, he puts words into Doug Wilson's mouth based on his
assumptions concerning Wilson. (Note all the bracketed insertions into the
extended quote from Wilson's blog.)

Metzler's approach here is simply lacking in the charity that is required of
a Christian.

With regard to Metzler's perceived true intent" and perceived "true target"
of Wilson's prayer (note that Wilson names no names in his prayer), if the
shoe fits . . . .

.. . . . if the shoe fits, please DON'T wear it, but rather, please examine
yourself humbly before God and repent, and seek God's mercy, without which
no man shall find salvation.

And since Mr. Metzler brings up Wilson's recent prayer posted online, let me
state the obvious and acknowledge that there are ways of reading this prayer
that would lead one to conclude it is an evil prayer. However, such a
reading is either uncharitable or not biblically informed, or both, and
reveals more about the person making the interpretation than it does about
Wilson. There is also a charitable and biblically informed way of reading
this prayer which does not lead one to condemn the person who made it. For
example, the use of the word "curse" [from beginning to end, Wilson's prayer
is essentially a concatenation of imprecatory prayer passages in the Bible]
needs to be understood in its biblical context. God repeatedly brought
curses upon the ancient nation of Israel for that nation's disobedience, but
those were not brought for the purpose of bringing about Israel's damnation.
Just the opposite was the case. There is no justification for reading into
Wilson's imprecatory prayer the notion that he is calling for the eternal
damnation of anyone.

In closing, let me repeat, I commented above on Wilson's use of imprecatory
prayer only because Mr. Metzler brought it up. It was not in view when I
responded to Keely. Even if one took the position that Wilson's particular
use of imprecatory prayer is sinful, it would remain a fact that in
principal imprecatory prayer is not only justifiable for the Christian, it
is necessary, and its neglect is not a good thing. The fact that Christians
fail to properly understand and use imprecatory prayer probably accounts for
a considerable amount of the weakness experienced by Christian churches
today.

-- Princess Sushitushi