[Vision2020] Goodbye to the Do-Nothing Congress

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Dec 10 10:13:25 PST 2006

>From Bob Schieffer's commentary on today's (December 10, 2006) "Face the
Nation" -

Goodbye To The Do-Nothing Congress
Bob Schieffer Offers A Eulogy To The 109th
By Bob Schieffer

This marks the end of what may have been the least productive Congress of
modern times.

And, what finer way to remember it than two stories that broke last week?

First, when Democratic leaders announced the new Congress would work five
days a week instead of the barely three days a week they worked this year,
Democrats and Republicans howled.

Democrat Debbie Wasserman said it would force her to reschedule her
daughter's Brownie troop meetings. Republican Jack Kingston said it would
mean less time with his family and showed Democrats didn't care about
families.

Earth to Congress: there are a lot of working parents who have to juggle
family and work schedules. Maybe another line of work would better suit your
lifestyles.

And there was this: The House Ethics Committee concluded House leaders had
probably known for years that former Congressman Mark Foley was making
inappropriate contact with teenage pages but chose to ignore it.

Yet the committee decided bad judgment didn't mean house rules had been
violated so they recommended no punishment - not even a reprimand - for
anyone.

As the father of grown children who once interned at the Capitol, I believe
the time has come to shut down all congressional page and intern programs.
Congress has demonstrated it has no real interest in protecting kids from
what they might encounter there.

As for Congress working too hard, we should not only demand it work five
days a week, but that members punch a time clock like many working
Americans.

That way, we would at least know where they are.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"I love my country but fear my government."

- Author Unknown