[Vision2020] Heirdoug's hero

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Dec 7 08:20:08 PST 2006

Lemon-O,

Should you be over-taxing your brain like this before having your pioneering brain surgery?  Should you be demonstrating how much functionality your brain has lost?

[1]

You claim that Jesus was descended from David according to Matthew in your post reproduced below.

There is a small problem with such a claim besides the truth of the lineage statements found in Matthew and the contradictory lineage statements found in Luke (http://virtualreligion.net/primer/Background/lineage.html).

"Descended from" means that there was a whole series of "begatings" that started with David and ended with Mary's fruit of the womb, Jesus.  [I am making the hopeful assumption that you know what "begat" means, although evidence from your personal life might be seen to argue otherwise.]

However, the point is simple:  If Jesus is descended from David, then sly old Joseph must have got some begating in himself with Mary.  If not, then David's lineage ended with Joseph, not Jesus.  So if Jesus is descended from David through either of the lineages supplied by Matthew or Luke (or any other lineage), the claim of a virgin birth is contradicted since in order to be descended from David through Joseph, Joseph, like David, must have enjoyed some begating.

Choose your poison:  Virgin birth or descent from David.  Both cannot be true, but both could be false.  Merry Christmas.

[2]

Since your mental acuity has apparently suffered such a piteous decline (hence the urgency of the pending operation) from its former below average pinnacle, you appeared to have forgotten the concept of Modus Ponens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modus_Ponens

Here's how it applies to the story of David:

[a]    If the Bible is completely true, then all statements and logically valid derivatives of same found in the Bible are true.
[b]    The Bible in the story of David claims that is it OK to punish someone by hideously torturing and killing some innocent person with no moral culpability in the issue, e.g. David's son.
[c]    It is not OK to punish someone by hideously torturing and killing some innocent person with no moral culpability in the issue.
[d]    Therefore, there is at least one set of statements and logically valid derivatives of same in the Bible which is not true.
[e]    The Bible is not completely true.

If the Bible is not completely true, then the so far unsolved puzzle remains:  which parts are true (if any), which parts are not, and how can it be decided beyond a reasonable doubt and beyond fantasy which is which.

[Doug, I hope you do not mind the use of color above.  They say that some who suffer from your condition can attend and understand better if the material they are presented with is written using crayons.]

Again all of us hope that your brain surgery will be a success.  However, you may not know it, but operations done near or during the holiday season have a lower success rate and a much greater mortality rate.   But if you live and are able to write coherently, please let us know when and where to send the get well cards.  In the meantime you would do well to avoid overtaxing your brain and embarrassing yourself further.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com

PS:  Is any of your medical expenses going to be paid for by the Wilson & Family's Christless Crackpot Cult & Cash Machine?  If not, then maybe a fund raising raffle could be held at the Corner Club.