[Vision2020] I thought you might be interested in this article

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 11:12:14 PDT 2006

On 8/31/06, Jeff Harkins <jeffh at moscow.com> wrote:
> The compensation packages for CEO's and other top executives are
> negotiated transactions in the marketplace.

The compensation packages for CEOs and other top executives are
determined by the board of directors' compensation committees, which,
itself, is largely composed of other CEOs and top executives. There
exists a significant conflict of interest between their interest in
the corporation as stockholder and their interest as an executive
whose compensation is likely to be later determined by exactly the
same person whose compensation they are currently determining. Whether
or not it's explicit, there exists a certain element of quid pro quo
in executive compensation -- especially when you consider golden
parachute clauses, which allow a CEO to fail out of their position
several hundred million dollars richer than they would otherwise be.

-- ACS