[Vision2020] I thought you might be interested in this article

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Thu Aug 31 09:19:37 PDT 2006

The compensation packages for CEO's and other top executives are
negotiated transactions in the marketplace.

When these individuals assume responsibility for achieving the goals
and objectives of the firm (firms with assets exceeding several
billions of dollars) a salary of $200 million can easily be justified.

The countering forces are many, many competitors. In today's global
economy, the threats are numerous and significant - in my opinion,
most of them earn every penny (or pound or franc).

Perhaps ponder the payments to young athletes - it might help you
enhance your insight on the scale of compensation.

Michelle Wie - a 15 year old golf phenom entered the realm of
professional golf with a $30 million plus endorsement contract.

It is reported that Tiger Woods earns over a $100 million from his
Nike endorsement contract.

All Wie and Woods are required to do is play golf and every once in
awhile win a golf tournament.

Many top major league baseball pitchers are compensated about $5,000
per pitch in a game.  If a picture throws about 100 pitches in a
game, he will earn about $500,000.  If he pitches in 30 games over
the season he will earn $15,000,000.

 From a historical perspective, you might want to review the
contracts that Michael Jordan had when he was with the Bulls.

Some European soccer players earn $100 - 150 million in their contracts.

The player payrolls for major league baseball range from around $20
million (Florida Marlins) to almost $200 million (Yankees)
These salaries are for folks that play games.  Think about the levels
of responsibility assumed when you are responsible for manufacturing
airplanes, automobiles, drug manufacturing.

Salaries of $200 million seem reasonable.

Also, you seem focused on the aggregate amount of compensation and
your inference that the amount of compensation is indicative of
greed.  I would suggest that the amount of compensation is not of
much significance except as a gauge of their relative market
relevance.  Rather, what they do with their wealth is perhaps of
consequence. Spending it obviously spreads that wealth to others.
Giving it away (charity) also moves that wealth to others.

Thanks for dialogue.