[Vision2020] I thought you might be interested in this article

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Thu Aug 31 19:59:30 PDT 2006

Granted - but you miss the point again.

The Board of Directors is elected by the shareholders - to whom the
BOD members are directly accountable.  Some BOD's may own stock in
the corporation, but it is not a defacto standard.

Also, although there are a few exceptions, the compensation of the
BOD is determined by a vote of the shareholders.

The company is indeed managed by the owners and duplicity is often
dealt with harshly by the owners.

You see, corporations (owners or shareholders) find it in their best
interest to attract the very best top executives they can afford -
and that action must meet a market test.  If golden parachutes are a
standard clause for competitors, it is likely that a corporation must
match or exceed a package offered to a candidate being courted by the
competition.

There is another subtlety that I hope you recognize.  If you are an
owner in a corporation and you do not agree with the BOD or the
management or both (it strikes me that this is the situation you find
yourself in), you can participate in the strategic decisions related
to the hiring of management and the BOD by exercising the rights
afforded to you as a shareholder - just don't exercise the proxy.

Of course, that would require an investment of your time and
capital.  Fortunately, you have a fall back position - you can simply
sell your shares and invest in a company that meets your standards
for determination of executive compensation as well as BOD's that
advance the long-term strategies consistent with your investment
philosophy(ies).

Finally,  Title 4 of the Sarbanes Oxley Act provides additional
assurance to shareholders that top executives and BOD's member will
act prudently with regard to the management of a corporation
(publicly traded firms only).