[Vision2020] Thanks Nil, Biking Is So Efficient!

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 27 08:24:30 PDT 2006

Ted,

 I think the big cost saving in walking, biking, vs.  Driving is not in fuel, but health costs. The costs in taking care of  an unfit adult is much higher than an adult that is healthy and fit,  especially later in their life.  There are other variables  involved as well.  Looking at just two variables when determining  the costs (fuel or otherwise) of walking and riding a bike vs driving I  think makes the article about driving instead of riding a bike invalid.

  Best,

  _DJA

Ted Moffett <starbliss at gmail.com> wrote:  Nils et. al.

  I  am puzzled why you are discussing walking to the Moscow Food CO-OP when  biking is much more efficient and quick?  Do you dislike biking  and prefer walking?

  Indeed, the issue is  time and convenience with so many people, accustomed to structuring  their lives for the speed and efficiency of automobiles.

  Consider  that all the calories burned for the activities  of the driver, including walking into, shopping, and out  of the store with groceries, which might involve walking a distance if  parking next to the store entrance is not available, must be figured  into the fossil fuel efficiency of driving compared to the  meat eaters use of fossil fuel heavy calories to walk or bike.   Driving to the store still has a significant fossil fuel cost from the  calories burned by the meat eater.  Some of the activities  would involve a nearly identical calorie cost, like entering the  store and shopping.  In the case of the Moscow Food CO-OP,  assuming there is bike rack space available at the store front, when  the parking lot is full, a driver would have to walk much  further than a cyclist to get into and out of the store, given  they would have to hunt for distant parking spot.

  Also,  how much meat is eaten of what kind for our meat eating example?   The web site focuses on heavy beef eaters, using some sort of averaged  US diet, but many now eat a lot of chicken, fish or pork, which would  have a different fossil fuel cost than beef, though I can't say for  sure what the fossil fuel impact for these meats involves.  And  many meat eaters do not get the majority of their calories from  meat.  And of course local meats of various kinds, wild game, even  beef that is range fed on grass, or chickens from a local farm, do not  have the same fossil fuel costs as grain fed "industrial" beef.

  What  percentage of the calories in your diet is from meat of what kind  sourced from where?  You might find that walking to the CO-OP does  not have the fossil fuel penalty in those calories you are burning as  much as that article implies?

  This is from the web site information you listed:

  http://bicycleuniverse.info/transpo/beef.html

  The  same is not true of bicycling vs. driving, because bicycling is more  than twice as efficient as walking (calories consumed per distance  traveled) -- bicycling uses less fossil energy than driving even if the  cyclist were eating nothing but beef. 5
  --------------

  Thanks for reinforcing the argument for biking to the Moscow Food CO-OP, even for voracious meat eaters!

  There are other nutritional facts to consider:

  The  web site's argument about meat calorie fossil fuel costs vs. driving  fossil fuel costs, seems to ignore the fact that meat is not the  primary energy source for many meat eating diets: carbohydrates  are.  Did the analysis in question figure for the fact that both  for meat eaters and vegetarians, non-meat carbohydrate sources are  likely to be the primary energy source for walking or biking?   This is basic nutrition: carbohydrates and sugars are burned more  readily for energy by the body than protein and fat.  The  percentage of calories in the diet from meat would need to be  considered, and someone eating meat daily but not getting the majority  of their calories from meat, again depending on what kind of meat  sourced from where, might not have a dramatic difference in  the fossil fuel costs per calorie compared to a vegetarian, depending  on many complex variables.

  Here is some documentation on the efficiency of biking, from the same web site you offered given again above:
    How Much More Efficient is
Cycling than Walking?              Calories burned in 10 minutes of activity
    123-lb. Woman
    170-lb. Man
      Cycling, 9.5mph
    56
    74
      Walking, 3.5mph
    45
    59

  (1) Cyclists cover 2.7 times as much distance in the same period of time as walkers. (9.5 mph / 3.5 mph)6
  (2) 45 walking calories x 2.7 = 121.5 walking calories to cover same distance.6
  (3) 121.5 calories vs. 56 calories: (121.5-56)/56 = 117%
  So cycling is 117% more efficient than walking. That's because cyclists travel nearly three times faster than walkers, but use only about 25% more calories to do so.  Running the numbers for men's calories yields a similar result.
  --------
  Ted Moffett