[Vision2020] Thanks Nil, Biking Is So Efficient!

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 17:40:33 PDT 2006

Nils et. al.

I am puzzled why you are discussing walking to the Moscow Food CO-OP when
biking is much more efficient and quick?  Do you dislike biking and prefer
walking?

Indeed, the issue is time and convenience with so many people, accustomed to
structuring their lives for the speed and efficiency of automobiles.

Consider that all the calories burned for the activities of the driver,
including walking into, shopping, and out of the store with groceries, which
might involve walking a distance if parking next to the store entrance is
not available, must be figured into the fossil fuel efficiency of driving
compared to the meat eaters use of fossil fuel heavy calories to walk or
bike.  Driving to the store still has a significant fossil fuel cost from
the calories burned by the meat eater.  Some of the activities would involve
a nearly identical calorie cost, like entering the store and shopping.  In
the case of the Moscow Food CO-OP, assuming there is bike rack space
available at the store front, when the parking lot is full, a driver would
have to walk much further than a cyclist to get into and out of the
store, given they would have to hunt for distant parking spot.

Also, how much meat is eaten of what kind for our meat eating example?  The
web site focuses on heavy beef eaters, using some sort of averaged US diet,
but many now eat a lot of chicken, fish or pork, which would have a
different fossil fuel cost than beef, though I can't say for sure what the
fossil fuel impact for these meats involves.  And many meat eaters do not
get the majority of their calories from meat.  And of course local meats of
various kinds, wild game, even beef that is range fed on grass, or chickens
from a local farm, do not have the same fossil fuel costs as grain fed
"industrial" beef.

What percentage of the calories in your diet is from meat of what kind
sourced from where?  You might find that walking to the CO-OP does not have
the fossil fuel penalty in those calories you are burning as much as that
article implies?

This is from the web site information you listed:

http://bicycleuniverse.info/transpo/beef.html

The same is not true of bicycling vs. driving, because bicycling is more
than twice as efficient as walking (calories consumed per distance traveled)
-- bicycling uses less fossil energy than driving even if the cyclist were
eating nothing but beef. 5
--------------

Thanks for reinforcing the argument for biking to the Moscow Food CO-OP,
even for voracious meat eaters!

There are other nutritional facts to consider:

The web site's argument about meat calorie fossil fuel costs vs. driving
fossil fuel costs, seems to ignore the fact that meat is not the primary
energy source for many meat eating diets: carbohydrates are.  Did the
analysis in question figure for the fact that both for meat eaters and
vegetarians, non-meat carbohydrate sources are likely to be the primary
energy source for walking or biking?  This is basic nutrition: carbohydrates
and sugars are burned more readily for energy by the body than protein and
fat.  The percentage of calories in the diet from meat would need to be
considered, and someone eating meat daily but not getting the majority of
their calories from meat, again depending on what kind of meat sourced from
where, might not have a dramatic difference in the fossil fuel costs per
calorie compared to a vegetarian, depending on many complex variables.

Here is some documentation on the efficiency of biking, from the same web
site you offered given again above:
 *How Much More Efficient is
Cycling than Walking?*

*

Calories burned in 10 minutes of activity

123-lb. Woman

170-lb. Man

Cycling, 9.5mph

56

74

Walking, 3.5mph

45

59
*

(1) Cyclists cover 2.7 times as much distance in the same period of time as
walkers. (9.5 mph / 3.5 mph)6

(2) 45 walking calories x 2.7 = 121.5 walking calories to cover same
distance.6

(3) 121.5 calories vs. 56 calories: (121.5-56)/56 = 117%

*So cycling is 117% more efficient than walking.* That's because cyclists
travel nearly three times faster than walkers, but use only about 25% more
calories to do so.

Running the numbers for men's calories yields a similar result.

--------

Ted Moffett