[Vision2020] Critical Mass, A Public Menace! Inconvenient Truth -- What WE gonna do

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 10:49:14 PDT 2006

Sunil et. al.

I gather you think an idea like "Critical Mass" to be more harm than good...
OK.

Also, you see no evidence that the expansion of the Moscow/Pullman Hwy. and
Hwy. 95 will increase development.  Well, OK, I guess...

On this issue of your views of fossil fuels, CO2 and global warming,
regarding the thread that started out as "Inconvenient Truth: What WE gonna
do" and then was modified with the "Critical Mass" addition, I thought
the main point of the discussion was global warming and CO2 emissions, and
what WE were gonna do about that "Inconvenient Truth."

I commented on the highway expansions as a development that will increase
fossil fuel use:

Ted wrote:

"As far as the expansion of the Moscow/Pullman Hwy. and Hwy. 95, are you
figuring the inevitable economic growth these developments will allow,
increasing the absolute amount of traffic and fossil fuel use in our area."

Sunil responded:

As for 95, I think extra lanes will make the drive safer. If it leads to
economic expansion, I don't object to that.

-------

This response did not mention fossil fuels in the context of the highway
development, though you stated that you don't object to economic expansion
if the extra lanes lead to this.

I thought that your comments were not addressing the central fossil fuel use
increase/CO2 issue of this thread, or if they were, we had to read between
the lines.  So I responded:

Ted wrote:

My question on this matter could not have been more unambiguous. I queried,
paraphrased, will the expansion of the Moscow/Pullman Hwy. and Hwy. 95
result in increasing amounts of traffic and fossil fuel use? The primary
focus of this entire discussion on Critical Mass is how to reduce fossil
fuel use, at least from my perspective. If you don't think global warming
from increasing levels of human sourced CO2 is a problem, just say so. But
when increasing levels of fossil fuel use are associated with development,
please address the issue, don't ignore it.

------

Note that I did not say that you said that CO2 does not affect global
warming, but only if that is what you think, say so.  There was no mention
of the fossil fuel/CO2 issue in your responses that I recall, so I was
wondering if you really thought it an important issue.  Now I know you do.
This paragraph should explain that I did not attribute "such an opinion to
me..." as you wrote below:

Sunil wrote:

I've said nothing in my posts to suggest that I think CO2 doesn't affect
global warning, so I'm confused that you'd attribute such an opinion to me;
I have no idea what your basis for this is.

-----

Now that that is cleared up, I trust, maybe Sunil can give his answer to the
question, "Inconvenient Truth: What WE gonna do?"

Ted Moffett