[Vision2020] [Norton AntiSpam] Re: Inconvenient Truth -- What WE REALLY HAVE TO DO

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 25 07:40:15 PDT 2006

Tom,

  Well, I am glad we are agreeing on some level.

  You asked:

  "To expand on Arnold’s  red/green apples analogy.  Yes.  The lower-cost green apples  would benefit those people who prefer apples, but cannot afford the  more expensive red apples.  The question then becomes, “How are  you going to be able to supply your green apples over a large region  and still maintain low costs?”, unless you can enter the apple market  at the same level (and volume) as your red-apple competitor."

  You  do that by making the market predicable by fixing the future price of  gasoline. If you are an investor, you will invest only in products that  you know will be cheaper than the fixed rate of gasoline. It eliminates  a great deal of the risk, and more investors will invest, giving it the  capital to compete with gasoline.

  "For  the sake of energy conservation and our environment, the government  must take action in expanding current alternate fuel research programs  and make a clear and unwavering statement that vehicles manufactured  after a certain year WILL NOT be designed to operate on fossil fuels."

  I  don't agree with forcing people to do things when the free market which  allows choice can accomplish the same goal. If gasoline simply becomes  intolerably expensive compared to the alternative, why make laws and  force people against their will? Further, I don't agree with outlawing  all gas powered vehicles. There will no doubt be instances where  gasoline is still the best or only means for powering some machines.

  Best,

  _DJA

Tom Hansen <thansen at moscow.com> wrote:              v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}          st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                    I  am not stating that this should be strictly a government  undertaking.  I am suggesting that for any program to develop  “teeth” it either must be supported by the government or those  enterprises that possess the lion’s share of the market.

    To expand on Arnold’s  red/green apples analogy.  Yes.  The lower-cost green apples  would benefit those people who prefer apples, but cannot afford the  more expensive red apples.  The question then becomes, “How are  you going to be able to supply your green apples over a large region  and still maintain low costs?”, unless you can enter the apple market  at the same level (and volume) as your red-apple competitor.

    The  free market (pronounced “Exxon”, “Standard Oil”, etc. etc) has already  pretty much dictated what fuel we will use.  For the sake of  energy conservation and our environment, the government must take  action in expanding current alternate fuel research programs and make a  clear and unwavering statement that vehicles manufactured after a  certain year WILL NOT be designed to operate on fossil fuels.   This approach worked in converting to lead-free fuels.  It can  work to eliminate our dependence on fossil fuels altogether.

        "Life  should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving  safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in  sideways, chocolate in one hand, a drink in the other, body thoroughly  used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO. What a ride!'"