[Vision2020] Inconvenient Truth -- What WE gonna do

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Thu Aug 24 07:00:21 PDT 2006

I think the most important thing that we can do as a community is increase and encourage alternative forms of transportation. I don't have any answers but I do have some more detailed questions.

I've always been a big walker but in my present location I walk far less than I ever did. If you live on the south side of Rt. 8, as I do, it is difficult to take advantage of the Co-ops wonderful offer. What can we do to increase and encourage more walking and bike riding in town, especially from the south and east to the downtown area?

Similarly, I take the bus to work -- from Moscow to WSU -- pretty often. But I rarely ride the bus in town. There are two bus stops near my house and I know where they are but I still don't make use of that option. And I doubt that I'm atypical in this regard. How can we inform people about the Moscow bus schedule and encourage folks to use that form of transportation?

--
Joe Campbell

---- Nils Peterson <nils_peterson at wsu.edu> wrote:

=============
I'm not too surprised that there was not an outpouring of personal actions
to my previous question -- I'm about immobilized by the challenge as well.

Carbon neutral is an interesting concept, but knowing if something is carbon
neutral is hard, and, given that most things include a transportation
element, its going to be hard to be neutral.

Megan's veggie idea, as subsequently modified by other suggestions is one
that resonates for me -- eat lower on the carbon input chain, which means
eat local. That's something I can work on.

SO now,  I want to move the discussion out a level, what are WE, as Moscow,
gonna do?

I got a piece of good news last night, PCEI has converted a vehicle to
bio-diesel and they are talking about how to work with other fleets in town
to convert them, and have a local bio-diesel supply. I know a couple other
bio-diesel drivers around already and having a supply closer than Lewiston
would be welcome news to them.

The COOP gives a discount for getting there by foot. One of the businesses
in Alturas Park (Anatech maybe?) gives employees a financial incentive per
mile that they travel to work by foot power. WSU & UI run a bus between the
campuses and its free to students and employees (but UI almost cut the
service this summer -- sad statement on their green commitment)

What else can we, in whatever collective groups, begin doing?

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com