[Vision2020] Celebrate freedom, kick a flag--burner's ass!

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Wed Aug 23 16:20:01 PDT 2006

I think the difference between burning the American flag -- which I condemn
almost as heartily as I oppose an amendment making that illegal -- and hate
crimes is simple.

When an African-American couple, for example, finds a burning cross on their
front line, they will rightly see that as not only offensive but
threatening, as this symbol of racial hatred has been ignited on their own
lawn, and their race likely is hated by those who lighted the cross.  A
person or persons, then, who hates African-Americans, therefore, has
demonstrated that hatred on the property of an African-American couple, and
it's reasonable for the couple to feel threatened -- even if, ultimately, no
actual, physical harm comes to them.

When the Gay-Straight Alliance flag was burned, it was taken from the GSA
office, where real, actual GLBT students, the objects of disgust by some,
congregate regularly.  A GLBT person, then, knows that someone knows where
they are, who they are, and has demonstrated a willingness to show their
disgust in a threatening, if not illegal,  by stealing and then burning the
flag that symbolizes their sexuality.  Not even a "hey, no kidding -- we're
gonna stop here" note pinned to the flag would assuage the legitimate fear
that real, actual members of the GLBT community would feel.

When someone burns an American flag at a rally on the Capitol steps, no
real, actual PERSON is threatened or even addressed.  It's one thing, say,
to be an American family in Beirut who awakens to a burning American flag on
their front lawn -- that, to me, indicates a specific threat to a specific
target.  But even if 360 million individual Americans were outraged by a
public flag-burning, unless a particular, identifiable, person were
threatened by someone who had the power and intent to deliver on the threat,
it remains simply an ugly, reckless, stupid -- but not inherently illegal --
act.

There are numerous reasons to oppose a flag-burning amendment, and faulty
logic employed to justify an amendment while denying the reality of hate
crimes simply reveals a paucity of legitimate argument.

keely