[Vision2020] Vision2020 Digest, Vol 2, Issue 290

Megan Prusynski megan at meganpru.com
Wed Aug 23 11:53:03 PDT 2006

Thanks for the response. Let me first say that I'm not trying to be
condescending in any way or saying that my lifestyle is right for
everyone, just trying to offer a few ideas for living more
sustainably that I am trying out, and see what others are doing.

If you need to hunt a deer to live, and do so locally, by all means
that sure beats eating factory farmed food that is shipped in using
fossil fuels! I have other reasons other than environmental impact
that affected my choice to go vegetarian, as I mentioned, and one is
that I believe I don't have the right to kill another sentient being
to eat if I don't need to. I am healthier than I have ever been on a
vegetarian diet and it's clear that I don't need meat to live, so I
choose not to eat it. If you hunt to eat, so be it, you're right it
is a much better alternative and a better choice for many people,
just not myself.

Thanks for the bio-fuels information as well. Bio-fuels, like hybrid
cars, I think are only a transitionary technology, and both still
depend on a fossil fuel infrastructure that we have set up in
society. So they're definitely not a be-all & end-all solution to the
sustainable transportation problem and I hope I wasn't implying that.
They are definitely a transition thing, and hopefully will be further
developed (or discarded) as better and cleaner technology comes
along. But it's a step in the right direction, I think, to run off of
locally produced, lower emissions fuel for now if I can.

I will do some further research on what you've brought up when I have
some time, but I have done a lot on my own already, from a variety of
sources. I just hope that people all over the world start applying
what they know and living their ideals instead of just talking about
them. We certainly can't wait for the government to make the move on
going green... if you want things to change you must first start with
yourself, that is all I'm saying, and I'm obviously still a work in
progress, as everyone is!

Message: 3