[Vision2020] Idaho Cellulosic Biofuel Plant Planned:Fall 2007

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 11:41:29 PDT 2006

All-

I'm posting this again, because though I had this info at the bottom of an
earlier post today, I thought it was important enough news to post
separately.  If Allan Greenspan thought it was important enough to mention
this cellulosic biofuel plant in Idaho as a solution (of course not just
that one plant, but the practical development of the technology, that can be
applied on a massive scale) as he talked to members of the US Congress...

One problem with expecting cellulosic biofuel to be a major solution to the
fossil fuel depletion/CO2 emission crisis is the massive quantities of
biomatter required, even sourced from non-food biomatter, massive quantities
of biomatter that may not regrow fast enough to keep up with energy demands,
or that might result in severe negative impacts to ecosystems from
extracting the biomatter.  If we can produce biofuel from wood chips, might
this not encourage excessive deforestation?
------------------------
However, the new cellulosic biofuel process allows for less upstream fossil
fuel impacts to produce biofuel, some claim, and can use straw or wood
chips, not food biomatter.  But the efficiency of a entire biofuel
production/delivery system using this more sophisticated process, a system
that would need to be mostly powered with biofuels or other CO2 neutral
energy to really be mostly independent of fossil fuels, still remains in
question.

Allan Greenspan, former head of the Federal Reserve, was on C-Span recently
lecturing members of the US Congress on our need to stop dependence on
foreign oil, and mentioned the cellulosic biofuel potential in Idaho as a
solution.

Supposedly Iogen from Canada was going to open a large scale cellulosic
biofuel production plant in Southern Idaho, utilizing Idaho's huge
agricultural production of straw, if I recall correctly:

http://www.free-press.biz/2-2006/Cellulosic-Ethanol.html

Does anyone know if this plant is being built or is still planned?.

I just answered my own question, assuming this news is accurate at the link
below.  Construction may start the Fall of 2007.   Idaho may become a major
player in biofuels if this plant is built and is economically successful,
but note Iogen wants US loan guarantees to cover investors losses if the
project fails.  This does not inspire confidence:

http://domesticfuel.com/?p=614

-----

Ted Moffett