[Vision2020] The times they are a changin'....and Dylan don't likeit

Dick Sherwin rvrcowboy at clearwire.net
Tue Aug 22 09:53:23 PDT 2006

I regret to say I agree with Bob Dylan, at least for the most part.

Today's musicians are like foreign car styles, unless you can read the name on the label you can't tell one from the other.  Music has degenerated into punk rock bands, who can all play each other's music and no one can tell the difference, to even worse... rap crap.  (I still refuse to call it music.)

There are still a few good county and western artists out there, and, even a few good country rock artists.  Of course, classical has not changed, except for the medium it is delivered on.  Rock and roll, for the most part, does not even exist any longer.  It has mostly turned into a group of idiots who only sing political protest verses that, by elimination, only appeal to no more than 50% of the listening audience.  Even to those to whom it has appeal, the lyrics are not enjoyable or worth listening too.  They emphasize politics far more than they strive to be musically creative.

I have a tin ear when it comes to background noise and wow, flutter and all that other stuff, so the medium the music is delivered through does not affect me as much as the content (or lack thereof) of modern day verse.

Of course, this is just my opinion.  I suppose a lot of people like to listen to so-called-artists scream out political protest lines in the name of music, or talk about hoes, cop killing, racial degradation, murder and other crimes to the savage beat of some pagan culture from a third world nation.

Everyone to their own taste, I suppose.  Personally, I refuse to let political correctness dictate my artistic tastes and preferences.  If this is the only music left to listen too I say, turn up the wow and flutter and add a few scratches here and there, who would know the difference?  It may even be an imporvment.

Dick S.