[Vision2020] Mountain View and D

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 20 14:08:40 PDT 2006

I don't think that intersection is very busy. I think MT. View and D is  very busy. Line street does back up on occasion, depending on the time  of day, all the way to Deakin Street. Also, traffic is only moving at  about 10 MPH, not 35. The pedestrians are college students and  professors, not 12 to 6 year old.

 I don't live on  Mt. View and D. I don't need to use it. But I think the traffic would  slow to a crawl and create impatient angry drivers that have to pass  through that intersection.

 Just image, four cars all  stopping, letting someone cross. Then going one at a time. Then the  next four cars pulling up, letting some more kids pass, then each go  again one at a time. That is very time consuming. how can it not be?  How long would it take for just 32 cars, 8 on each side, all stopping,  and creeping forward at a four way stop? Not to mention letting  pedestrians through as well. I think it would be a nightmare. Imagine  Main and Third a 4 way stop. Ouch. Glad I don't have to use that  intersection.

  Best,

  _DJA

Tom Hansen <thansen at moscow.com> wrote:  Ladies and Gentlemen of Moscow Vision 2020 -

I draw your attention to the intersection of Line Street and Sixth Street,
arguably the busiest intersection on the UI campus; no traffic lights, no
motion detecting equipment, just your plain down-home garden variety 4-way
stop signs.

I serious doubt that the city needs to expend funds for any equipment beyond
four 4-way stop signs in solving the pedestrian/vehicular congestion at the
corner of Mountain View and D streets.

Thoughts?

PS - Another option would be for the city to "MC" a community vehicular
interactive game along the lines of "Death Race 2000", such that points
would be awarded on a casualty basis:

Elderly (over 60 years of age) pedestrians - 5 (five) points each

Middle-aged (40 to 60 years of age) pedestrians - 10 (ten) points each
(additional 15 points for each pregnant female pedestrian)

Young (somewhat) (20 to 40 years of age) pedestrians - 15 (fifteen) points
each (additional 15 points for each pregnant female pedestrian)

School-aged (including college) (6 to 20 years of age) - 20 (twenty) points
each

Points are doubled for each physically handicapped pedestrian.

So, in the immortal words of John Belushi (from "Animal House"):

"Let the games begin."

"Only by going too far can one possibly find out how far one can go."

- Jon Dyer

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com

 List services made available by First Step Internet,