[Vision2020] Ring Road vs internal Hwy 8 bypass

david sarff davesway at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 9 08:53:44 PDT 2006

My wishful thinking would be that the city would deal with the northwest
quadrant in order to deal with its own internal traffic pressures, then meet
up with ITD’s Thorncreek to Moscow on the Southwest side near the Mall or
Wal-Mart. Thus funding at least half of the by-pass out of the Thorncreek to
Moscow budget.
The ITD by-pass study was not fully funded and was only complete as far as
the first phase was concerned . ITD only participated in the first phase of
the study and in my opinion stopped when the result served their own
purposes. This was not helpful for the City. I recall that Walter Steed was
visibly and verbally stunned finding out that the study would not be
thoroughly completed.
There is an issue with bringing the Highway 8 traffic east/west
through/around town. The south west quadrant in the last 25 years has gained
the Arboretum and a couple of park areas. This increase in engineered
esthetics has already proven to have become a valued sanctuary for the
community and the prospect of pushing traffic via a ring road (or anything
else noisy and lit up) through that area will be an up hill battle for
anyone who wants to push traffic volume into that section.
This has been one reason why I feel that a Western by-pass needs to begin
heading west far south (before Clyde hill) so as to avoid the then easterly
Arb and Ball fields. Leave old 95 as the first off ramp into town.
But, that still does not help the highway 8/east west traffic issue. Neither
would an eastern by-pass…What to do?
Would rerouting 95 traffic out of downtown leave enough relief to live with
highway 8 cross traffic internally? Indefinitely? Could highway 8 be pushed
on westerly from junction at 95, along the tracks and out by the information
center ( yuck, esthetics over function again). Hard to know what to do with
8 internaly/externaly.
  Maybe the city would do well to insist that ITD carry out the full By-pass
study as recommended by the very folks who performed the first one.

Dave Sarff