[Vision2020] Reducing cars in town

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 3 20:04:21 PDT 2006

I'm not qualified to comment on how well that kind of system would
work.  However, I don't personally think that the UI will do anything
like that until they get the "parking is revenue" idea out of their
heads.  Remember the good old days when you could park for free at the
Dome and hoof it to class?  Or on the street?  The permit prices are
getting way out of control, and even if you have one you can't park in
lots of areas because you don't have the right color permit and can't
get one.  And the "parking nazis" drive cars made to look like police
cars with stickers on the doors and lights on top of them.

Make us poor staff pay for our permits, fine.  Keep the price of a Gold
permit high, and also the Magenta, Silver, and whatever other student
ones there are.  If you keep the price higher, more people will find
alternate ways to get to work.  Save the good spots for disabled parking
and meters, but reduce the prices for Blue permits, get rid of Red
permits, reduce the number of Magenta, Silver, etc, and open up areas on
the outskirts of campus for free parking.  Try alternate ideas like
increasing the shuttle runs and putting in more bicycle parking.  Stop
trying to make the poor parking situation into a money-maker.

Paul