[Vision2020] 520 Subscribers? "Yellow" Jounalism Sells!

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 10:05:52 PDT 2006

All-

I guess the problem has been fixed.

Bill London said a power outage caused the problems...

I think what happened, just my assumption based on the facts, is that an
earlier list of e-mail subscriber/passwords and Vision2020 web site access
functions became applied to how the list functioned.  As if an earlier
version of subscriber list/passwords and Vision2020 web site functions
suddenly was "reborn."

So if you were a relatively new subscriber, there was no prior account info
for the list to go back to for you.  It would just block your e-mails from
the list and account access.  If you had had the same account info for many
years, you might not notice anything, except the subscriber list access,
which hardly anyone looks at anyway.

In my case, I was subscribed years ago under "tbertruss" with a different
password than now.  Suddenly I was getting mail at my "tbertruss" address,
which is still active.  Also, I had to look up my old password to get into
my account info under "tbertruss."  The system remembered this info!  This
reveals that somewhere in computer land, my old password info is stored!  I
could use my old "tbertruss" address and old password to get into my "old"
Vision2020 account, and on top of that, just as it once was in more
"trusting" days, when an ordinary list member could view the subscriber
list, I could get into the subscriber list using my "tbertruss" address and
old password.

What I wonder is whether the subscriber list I saw yesterday is the current
one, or an earlier version.  Vision2020 had less than 500 total subscribers
years ago, yet the info I saw yesterday on the subscriber list indicated 520
total subscribers, combining digested and non-digested, not counting a few
"private" addresses. This info is plainly displayed at the top of the web
page for the subscriber list.

This tells me that, despite all the complaining about Vision2020 content,
and declarations the list is dead, it is drawing a bigger audience than it
had years ago.

"Yellow" journalism sells!

Ted