[Vision2020] Water: I did something now; conserving sewage

Nils Peterson nils_peterson at wsu.edu
Fri Apr 28 09:02:59 PDT 2006

This conversation has been enjoyable, and productive, for me also.

It occurred to me this AM, that while we continue to discuss the topic, I
could at least drop a brick into my old toilet and contribute a little.
Lacking a brick and fearing dropping, I located a jar, that when flooded
sits in the bottom of the tank. I how have fresh water retention ponds
upstairs and down ;-)

Another thought. I have been asking about the marginal cost of water, in
order to better understand the economic strategies available to us.

I had missed the marginal cost of a unit of sewage. If we could reduce the
amount of water sent to the sewage plant, we might forestall an upgrade.
(There may be other implications of reduced water flow delivering the same
amount of sewage, so analysis is required.) Sewage volume reduction would be
accomplished by some water conservation strategies, and not others, so the
overall analysis gets more complex.

On 4/27/06 11:14 AM, " Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)" wrote:
> I have enjoyed the back and forth discussion on this issue (with one or two
> exceptions).  It is important that we seriously consider all the different
> perspectives from the concern about water availability and conservation, to
> the concerns from Matt about growth, and to the concerns about other
> economic/lifestyle (gardeners, etc) considerations.
>
> There are a lot of factors to weighed.