[Vision2020] Joan Opyr on 4/22/2006

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Apr 27 08:58:30 PDT 2006

Cowboy Dick,

My real name appeared at the beginning of this thread:

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com

Since you are relatively new to the forum, perhaps your oversight is understandable.

However, I repeat a question and hope for a real response, not a near emotional breakdown:

How do you know that the Bible is the word of some alleged God?

You claim in your posts that the Bible is the word of some alleged god.  In doing so you are making a knowledge claim -- claiming that certain statements are true of reality.

A knowledge claim needs to be supported by evidence, especially if that claim is to used to restrict the freedom and joy of others.

If I said that pollution from the Potlatch Industries operation in Lewiston elevates the risk of cancer for Lewiston residents, you would expect and would be justified in your expectation that I produce clear, cogent, and verifiable evidence that such a knowledge claim is true.  That is exactly what is being asked of your knowledge claim that the Bible is the word of some alleged God.

After claiming that the Bible is "the word of God," you then use only your interpretation of words from the Bible to attempt to justify your imposition of behavioral standards on others.

You see the problem:  If you cannot justify your underlying knowledge claim, then you cannot justify the moral pronouncements and their restrictions on individuals' personal freedom that are based on that unsupported knowledge claim.

More than two-thirds of the population of the world do not agree the Bible is the word of some god.  Again:  What clear, cogent, verifiable evidence do you offer for the truth of your knowledge claim that the Bible is the word of some alleged God?

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com