[Vision2020] Joan Opyr on 4/22/2006

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Wed Apr 26 15:47:00 PDT 2006

On Apr 26, 2006, at 1:17 PM, rvrcowboy wrote:

> Ed is forgetting, of course, that "the soul of Jonathan was bound to
> the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul. Then
> Jonathan made a covenant with David, because he loved him as his own
> soul." 1 Samuel 18. So much for Bathsheba. Uriah the Hittite bit the
> dust for nothing.
>
> Joan Opyr  4/22/2006
>
> What is Joan trying to make us believe here?  That David and Jonathan
> engaged in homosexual activities with each other?  That is crazy, but
> then again, who should be surprised at that from Joan?

Do I know you Dick?  Have we ever met?  I don't think so.  Unless, of
course, we've sat down next to one another at Effie's and dined side by
side on giant burgers without knowing it.  Could be . . .

Now, tell me what you know about Biblical translation, or translation
period?  Do you read Coptic?  Or Greek?  How's your Aramaic?  Which
translation of the Bible do you use?  Do you have a concordance?  Do
you use it?  (Please bear in mind that a translation is not the same
thing as a version.)  Now, tell me exactly how it is that you know what
David and Jonathan got up to when the lights were out?  Were you a fly
on the wall?  That was what, 3,500 years ago?  No wonder you're
retired.

What we do know about Jonathan's relationship with David is that,
according to the "crazy" verse I cited, Jonathan loved David with a
love surpassing, so much so that he bound his soul to David's.  What do
you call that kind of relationship?  Just good friends?

>  This chapter and verse is taken completely out of context and has
> nothing to do with homosexual activity what-so-ever but with the bond
> between David and Jonathan (Saul's son) as friends.  Joan has
> obviously never had a friend she trusted or loved with her soul.  Or,
> perhaps, not one that she has not had sex with anyway.
>
> To offer up this text as evidence that homosexuality is accepted in
> the Bible is ludicrous and bordering on blasphemy.  Talk about a
> stretch of the imagination.... WOW!
>
> Dick

I take nothing out of context, Dick -- not this Biblical verse and not
your crude assumptions about my friendships and my sex life.  I am
blessed in my family and my friendships, and I can name at least a
dozen people in whom I trust completely.  I've only "had sex" with one
of them.  As for evidence that homosexuality was accepted in the Bible,
who said that's why I offered up this verse?  I offered it to
demonstrate that gay and lesbian relationships are a fact of life as
old as time; that men have loved men and women have loved women for as
long as there have been men and women.  There are, I believe, 17
references to same-sex relations in the Bible.  Most do condemn
homosexuality.  But the Bible also condemns the eating of shellfish and
the wearing of blended fabrics, and it condones (among other things)
murder, rape, and incest.  Tell me what's uplifting and moral about the
slaughter of the Amakelites or the story of Lot having sex with his
daughters, and perhaps I'll listen to your ranting against same-sex
marriage.

You think way too much about gay sex, Dick -- and so do Doug Farris,
Dale Courtney, and our little swan, Ed "Cooper."  I can assure you that
we gay folk think very little about your sex lives.  We prefer to hold
onto our lunches.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com

PS: Your ideas of blasphemy, Dick, do not correspond with Jewish
tradition.  The devout Jew is encouraged to l'hakshot, meaning the
asking of probing, difficult questions.  We are to take nothing at face
value.  Our religion requires a dialog with God -- a dialog that you'll
find in the midrash, thousands of years of recorded commentary on the
Hebrew scriptures.  We Jews are not only allowed but expected to ask
questions of God, and it is not blasphemy to question the scriptures.
Far from it.  It's fine to be a sheep; it's not so hot to be a lemming.
PPS: I am of English, Welsh, Scottish and Ukrainian Jewish descent.  My
name is pronounced with a hard "j."  I'll thank you to stop playing
around with it.  Honestly, if my name were Dick, I'd think twice before
I messed with anyone else's moniker -- even if it were I. P. Freely.