[Vision2020] Water: Reclaiming the wet landscape was What's missing

Chris Storhok cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us
Wed Apr 26 10:58:34 PDT 2006

Nils,
Here is a link to a great program that combines wildlife protection and wetland restoration, hope you can find someone to apply for these funds.

http://www.fws.gov/birdhabitat/Grants/NAWCA/Standard/US/index.shtm

If I were working for Latah County or the UI I would suggest using these funds to conduct further restorative work on the upper reaches of Crumarine (sp)Creek, Missouri Creek, Paradise Creek, and the head waters of the South Fork of Palouse River.  The region I would want to restore to season ponds, wetlands, and marshes would be those that are over the recharge zones for both major aquifer systems.  If one could slow the water up over those locations then I would expect that the recharge rate would greatly increase for both aquifers.  The appeal of conservation work in those boundary areas would help with a grant anyway since those same zones serve as the transition points between the palouse prairie habitat and the woody uplands on both Moscow Mountain and Paradise Ridge, the diversity of species is greatest there as is the population density.  These zones are critically important to both wildlife and man and should be restored as such.

Good luck,
Chris