[Vision2020] Water. Where do you stand on the issue?

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 25 04:14:37 PDT 2006

Chas writes,

"I believe you, Donovan, as I've heard this said by people I trust many
times before.  Still, I don't understand why this is so; does economic
growth mean we have to continually attract new business to Moscow
(which would unavoidably seem to increase the population, to me), or
does it have some other meaning?"

Chas,

I think you believe the false premise that businesses must increase the number
of workers to be more profitable.

I don't think that is the case. In fact, I think often the opposite is true.
Look at farming. Our production is way higher than in 1906. Yet there are far
fewer workers in farming. The economy is better because farming became efficient, and people did
something else besides farming. They became manufacturers, bankers, teachers,
lawyers, doctors, nurses, construction workers, etc.

The idea is to continually replace low paying less profitable jobs, like farming and retail,
with higher paying more profitable jobs. Seattle is a perfect example. Computers
make more money than working in retail, or fishing.

I think Latah should mine its clay. That would bring lots of wealth to the community.
wealth from outside the community, even in from outside the country.

The danger that Moscow and Latah is facing is negative population growth. UI and
Latah are both losing population. That hurts property values in outlying cities and
hurts Moscow went UI loses population.

Take Care,

_DJA

Chasuk <chasuk at gmail.com> wrote:  On 4/24/06, Donovan Arnold  wrote:

>  There are two different types of growth. One is economic, the other is
> population growth. Economically we have to grow, that is what generates
> wealth for the community. If our community has zero economic development,
> that would mean the standard of living in Moscow would decline as the cost
> of housing, energy, health care, and other goods and services increased and
> Moscow remained economically stagnant.

I believe you, Donovan, as I've heard this said by people I trust many
times before.  Still, I don't understand why this is so; does economic
growth mean we have to continually attract new business to Moscow
(which would unavoidably seem to increase the population, to me), or
does it have some other meaning?

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com