[Vision2020] Water. Where do you stand on the issue?

Nils Peterson nils_peterson at wsu.edu
Tue Apr 25 06:40:54 PDT 2006

Much as Donovan Arnold argues that farming became more labor efficient,
should Moscow become more water efficient? Is this basis of policy
decisions-- Moscow should grow its economic base (and possibly its
population base) without increasing its water user?

Solomon seemed to be suggesting a path to that for housing developments --
retrofit existing water users to upgrade their efficiency. Solomon also
seemed to be suggesting that efficiency gain for current residents come at
no perceived change in their current lifestyle... That is, he'd give me a
newer more efficient toilet, which (as long as it worked) would provide me
the same services at less water.

The wisdom of Solomon (couldn't resist) is that his strategy doesn't have to
confront the questions of economic growth or population growth -- just do it
on a budget -- AND his method doesn't cost current residents (in theory) so
the cost is borne by the would be developers.

Do we have anyone on the list who is a developer or associated with another
engine of economic or population growth? Does this zero sum game on water
work for you?