[Vision2020] Re: Name of this list & re: Water

Craine Kit kcraine at verizon.net
Sat Apr 22 11:34:20 PDT 2006

For the last 30 or so years, we have not watered our lawn or
established plants. The only exceptions is if things are in dire
straits (e.g. it has been over 90 degrees for weeks with no rain) and
then I use a soaker hose. I don’t have any special grasses. My lawn
has simply been abused for so long that it has adapted to both
drought and shade.

My formula is to cut the grass as tall as my mower allows (6") only
once or twice in the spring, then let it grow until nature tells it
to stop. The longer the leaves mean deeper the roots and shade for
the ground. Deep roots and cooler soil means less need for water.
Yes, my yard is brown by July, but it always comes back in the spring.

In the fall, it gets one last cutting as I mulch the maple  leaves,
which I do not remove unless they fail to decompose over winter.

The best part of this system is that it is very low maintenance.

Kit Craine