[Vision2020] Police Want Long-Term Voice

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Apr 22 08:38:58 PDT 2006

>From today's (April 22, 2006) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with a special
thanks to Councilman Robert Stout.

Those of us who believe in safe streets and neighborhoods, should stand
behind the very people that make this possible; the Moscow Police
Department.

I, for one, strongly support and encourage the development and maintenance
of a local law enforcement union.

Police want long-term voice

As the Moscow City Council prepares to address important land-use issues, I
want to be certain that another important issue doesn't escape the attention
of the Moscow public. Since our former mayor and City Council refused to
recognize the Moscow police as a bargaining unit last April, I have taken a
personal interest to ensure that their fundamental right to organize as
workers is supported by the city.

As I have settled into my role as a City Council member, I recognize the
need to compromise and negotiate on many issues that will come before us.
However, on the recognition of the Moscow police union, I cannot do so. This
issue isn't about the merits of labor. We are dealing with real people's
lives here; people who, on a daily basis, work to protect us from harm and
keep our small town safe.

We owe it to the Moscow police officers to treat them with the dignity and
respect they deserve. In my mind, the only way to do so is to recognize
their unanimous vote to organize and begin bargaining in good faith. The
residents of Moscow will be rewarded with a veteran, well-trained police
force with high morale.

Be leery of the doom and gloom talk of the costs to the city.

The officer's grievances don't specifically concern only wages and benefits.
They want a long-term voice so they can have what every one deserves, a fair
and equal footing to present their opinions and grievances.

I'm privileged to call many of the men and women in the police force my
friends. That's why I am fighting so hard for them, I want to be able to
look them in the eye when I go downtown and know the city is treating them
fairly. It's the very least I owe them.

Robert C. Stout
Moscow

Seeya round town, Moscow.