[Vision2020] Pressurized Irrigation

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Sat Apr 22 10:25:55 PDT 2006

After seeing the city of Troy get approval of their Conditional Use
Permit to build a reservoir up Big Creek, thereby increasing their
storage from 8 million to 240+million gallons, I've been trying to think
of *where* Moscow could have such a reservoir.  Troy is a bit more
conveniently located than Moscow, but there are options, albeit quite a
distance away.  Anything would have to happen closer to Moscow Mountain,
and almost anyplace logical is privately owned.  Troy got lucky in that
they are able to locate their reservoir on University of Idaho ground.

While I like Matt's ideas of stocking said reservoir with fish and
making a recreational area, maybe it would be a good idea to keep people
out of the reservoir to make it available for potable use.  Of course it
would require going through a treatment plant, but that could probably
be done.

As far as water for irrigation, why don't we build anohter waste water
treatment plant on the eastern/southern side of Moscow and make that
usable for irrigation of public areas, such as the cemetary, parks, etc.
This would also take some of the pressure off our current plant,
allowing it to work longer.

I'm sure there's other ideas.  Too bad they all cost so dang much.

DC