[Vision2020] Re: Name of this list & re: Water

Melynda Huskey melynda at moscow.com
Fri Apr 21 23:30:13 PDT 2006

Bill London wrote:
> And therefore, I see no need to water the lawn at the Moscow Cemetery.  I
> have been to all the public cemeteries in Latah County.  Only a few are
> irrigated.  I do not think the beauty or reverence of the cemeteries are
> determined by irrigation.  I think this Council's special deal on cheap
> water for the cemetery is foolish.  The cemetery district officials should
> not have made that request.

I disagree with Bill and Ralph; while the dead may not know, and almost
certainly don't care, if the grass is green above them, I think it's a
civic duty to maintain cemeteries as green, pleasant, and peaceful
spots, with grass and tall, shady trees.

The older part of Moscow's cemetery is a lovely place to walk and
indulge in Wordworthian intimations of immortality; there are some very
fine examples of funerary art in the older gravestones, too.  The newer
part, with its ugly flat plaques and spindly trees spaced far, far
apart, is infinitely less appealing.

If I were ever to win the lottery (which I won't, because I won't play),
I'd endow the cemetery district with a million dollars on the condition
that they allow interesting headstones, tombs, and mausoleums again.

The golf course I couldn't care less about, but let the former citizens
of Moscow have a verdant resting place.

Melynda Huskey