[Vision2020] Re: Name of this list & re: Water

Bill London london at moscow.com
Fri Apr 21 12:48:23 PDT 2006

Water--
This community has a couple of mutually-exclusive ideas about our water
(meaning the aquifer beneath us).
One --the aquifer water is a resource we can use, and use up.
Two -- the aquifer water is irreplaceable and we should maintain it as is.

That leads us to chase the Naylor Farms proposal out of town, but embrace
the WSU golf course and the green lawn at the Moscow Cemetery.

I am conservative by nature, and want to support the maintenance of the
existing level of water in the aquifer.  It's like money in the bank.  In an
era of major climate change, maybe our children will need it.  So, I say
leave it there and adjust our lives to preserve it.

And therefore, I see no need to water the lawn at the Moscow Cemetery.  I
have been to all the public cemeteries in Latah County.  Only a few are
irrigated.  I do not think the beauty or reverence of the cemeteries are
determined by irrigation.  I think this Council's special deal on cheap
water for the cemetery is foolish.  The cemetery district officials should
not have made that request.
BL