[Vision2020] Getting to draw the lines and pseudonyms

joekc at adelphia.net joekc at adelphia.net
Fri Apr 21 18:02:37 PDT 2006

I'm over the limit.

But ...

We must believe in something, and something other than ourselves. If you're epistemology commits you to accepting that you do not know that your hand exists, then our conversation has departed from something that the folk might appreciate. Furthermore, one may be a hand-atheist or a God-atheist but one cannot be an atheist in general (or a solipsist), i.e. believe that nothing exists but 'I.' For even with 'I' we have the same problems.

--
Joe Campbell

---- Chasuk <chasuk at gmail.com> wrote:

=============
On 4/21/06, joekc at adelphia.net <joekc at adelphia.net> wrote:

> Do you know that your hand exists? If you say 'Yes,' then I can continue.

> If you say 'No,' then who cares about the claim that 'No one can know that God exists.' No one can know anything.

If I don't know whether my hand exists (being self-referentially hand
agnostic), no one is likely to invest much energy writing books about,
or debating, the ineffable mysteries of my hand.  Likewise, if I am a
self-referentially hand atheist, or a self-referentially hand theist,
cults will not arise devoted to the issue, each with respective
apologists.

That's a rather major difference, I would say.