[Vision2020] Getting to draw the lines and pseudonyms

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 18:36:44 PDT 2006

On 4/21/06, joekc at adelphia.net <joekc at adelphia.net> wrote:

> We must believe in something, and something other than ourselves.

I have two brains, maybe more.  One brain feels things, the other
knows things.  These brains are aware of each other, but to an extent
that I have not yet divined.  The "knowing" brain acknowledges that
what it "knows" might be only what it "believes," but it is too
pragmatic to care.  The "feeling" brain, paradoxically, "knows" some
things about which the "knowing" brain is uncertain, or at least about
which it is willing to suspend judgement.  My epistemology commits me
to nothing.  My hand might exist, it might not.  I might exist, I
might not.  However, my "knowing" brain, as I've said before, is
pragmatic, and whispers  -- only occasionally, but always
conspiratorially -- with the "feeling" brain, trying to convince it
that what it feels must be true.

Both brains might be correct.  The collective me will never know (or
so my "knowing" brain believes that it knows).  I'm content with
uncertainty, as it is preferable, in my philosophy, to the feel-good
invention of the "feeling" brain.

I'm not describing dissociative identity disorder, I'm describing a
model of consciousness that is still a work in progress.  Mu model
includes no supernatural ingredients, and, indeed, rejects any concept
of the supernatural, as I provisionally believe that the universe is
the whole show.

I might be wrong, but I might be right.  Presently, I exist accepting
what appears to be the best answer available to _me_.  Someday, maybe
I will know a final answer.  That would be nice, I think.  Still, I'm
not holding my breath.  I will continue exploring until I breathe no
longer.