[Vision2020] Re: more on the subject of my evangelical arm

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 14:31:24 PDT 2006

keely-

Thanks for your reply...

I don't really need the arm now.  My injury is healing.  Besides, what is
this, China, where those who oppose the government (Christians were required
to register with the Chinese Communist Part if they held Bible studies in
their homes!) may end up having their body parts raided after being jailed?
Geez...

I always tended to think (about once every five years or so, I truly
"think," but mostly I just "tend to") "fundamentalists" and "evangelicals"
were close to following the same basic religious beliefs in the world of
Christian ideology.  Perhaps I have had this wrong.

I find the question of why there are not more women prominent in the world
of famous "preachers" in today's society interesting.  Feminism has made
great gains in rights for women, yet we find that in the past there were
famous women preachers that were perhaps more widely popular than women
preachers today.  Perhaps our society is far more sexist at this point in
time than many suppose, which may explain why the US Congress only has about
14-18 percent women representing the populace in 2005:

http://www.emilyslist.org/newsroom/referenceguide.html

And I personally believe that at this point in time a women would not win
the US Presidency, due to the latent or manifest sexism common in US
society.  The dems. are fools if they nominate Hillary Clinton for the
presidency.  Her swing to the "middle" will not help.

In the 1920s a women could be a famous evangelical.  Who was Aimee
McPherson?

http://www.suntimes.com/special_sections/evangelical/cst-nws-evangbside13.html

"We had them in the 1920s, but not now," said Julie Ingersoll, an associate
professor of religious studies at the University of North Florida who is
author of the book *Evangelical Christian Women: War Stories in the Gender
Battles. *

Aimee Semple McPherson, an evangelist who founded Los Angeles' pentecostal
Foursquare Gospel Church back in the 1920s, is perhaps the best example of
the kind of female evangelical powerhouse who's missing today, Ingersoll
said. In her day, McPherson was as well known as a Pat Robertson or Billy
Graham. Today, even McPherson's own Foursquare church has few women in
leadership positions, Ingersoll said.

-------

Ted Moffett