[Vision2020] Immigration, Intolerance, and Issues

Michael Curley curley at turbonet.com
Thu Apr 13 11:11:03 PDT 2006

Matt:
It is possible that one does not have to be racist to oppose illegal
immigration.  It is likewise possible that one does not have to be a
religious intolerista to oppose living arrangements that violate the
law. or colleges that are (were) illegally located.  or alternative
high schools that violated the law.
It is possible to be "white" (whatever that means), not a racist, and
be opposed to Barry Bonds breaking Ruth's home run records.  It is
possible to be black/a person of color, not a racist, and be opposed
to Mark McGwire breaking Aaron's home run record.
And, it is also possible to be both racist (or an intolerista) and
oppose each of those events--and, interestingly enough, for (a)
racist reasons;  (b) totally non-racist reasons; or (c) both.
The issue and the motivation may or may not be related.  Focusing on
issues, not epithets, does a lot more to advance understanding.  On
occasion it even leads to consensus or solutions.
I take you at your word Matt.
As many others have suggested, I find the discussion of issues much
more enlightening than the creativity of the epithets that get thrown
around on this list.
Mike