[Vision2020] Imigration

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Apr 13 08:02:22 PDT 2006

As someone who lived close to the Canada-Idaho border in childhood and at
young adulthood at intervening times, as one who lived there during the
eighties, and as one who has had real property holdings within eyesight of
the border on both sides of the border:

Anytime someone -- terrorist, potential prostitute, dope dealer, someone
seeking a better life, etc -- wants to cross the Idaho-Canada border
undetected, all it takes is a little planning and/or the [paid] help of
certain locals.  The terrain of the Canada-Idaho Border makes meaningful
surveillance virtually impractical.  Just drive up through
Eastport/Kingsgate and back through Rykerts/Porthill to see the part of the
problem. You can turn off on Old 95, now a county road after you enter the
US at Porthill to see another part of the problem.  If you have a 4 wheel
drive/high clearance vehicle then you can drive up Canuck Basin, Gillon
(Long-Shorty) Creek, and/or the many uncontrolled border crossings part of
the Boundary Creek road complex.

Last year a man importing 13 potential whores was caught just south of
Eastport.  He was only caught because of careless driving -- he got stuck in
a ditch on US 95 after picking up his whores all of which simply walked
across the border at night at Eastport/Kingsgate [undetected!!!!].

Border security north of us can be improved.  But don't expect it to be less
than a sieve for those that plan even a little bit.  Don't expect certain
locals to give up economic opportunities which arise when there are
people/goods/documents/etc to be moved undetected across the border,
especially when these locals see no connection between their activities and
terrorism.

Any alert person who has lived near the Idaho-Canada border for even a short
while can and probably will tell you this.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com