[Vision2020] ice rink

April Fingerlos aprilf at fingerlos.net
Wed Apr 5 10:46:52 PDT 2006

Yes, the arena does get used. The problem with it, however, is that's it's WAY too small for any modern event. It worked well in the 60's and 70's when trailers were small, but today's trailers are so much larger that it's impossible to fit enough into that small parking area safely and still have a profitable show (my 2-horse trailer is taller, wider, and longer than most older 4 horse trailers). The lack of fencing, water, and stalls further complicate the issue, especially in terms of liability insurance for the host organization, or the fair board itself. The arena is of very good size--any smaller and it would not be useful. I can't think of a single boarding stable that could take on the same events with their own meager parking. Paradise, Wonder, and Sunshine have all tried, but their parking situation is even worse. The new arena at the Potlatch Y that borders the Silver Spurs arena even has the same issue. If I had to pick one, perhaps the Cayuse Kids arena in Princeton would fit more trailers, but their parking is even more odd.  In Latah county at least, that fairgrounds is the best public venue we have.

There are several local saddle and 4-H clubs that utilize the arena for practices, clinics, and small shows, however. I haul there for off-site schooling several times each summer.

I do what I can within my ApHC non-pro status to assist the local 4-H groups, and one of my biggest irritants is how the horse projects are not part of the Latah County Fair. There just isn't room for them at the fairgrounds. There's hardly room for the fair as it is now, and it already creates havoc for the surrounding neighborhoods. Has there been any talk at all about relocating and expanding the fairgrounds, perhaps to something like Whitman counties' facility outside of Colfax? I'm not talking about attracting the large breed shows such as the ones I show at over on the coast or even the new South Coast facility (www.southcoasteventscenter.com) that I hope to show at next year, but instead simply having a facility in which the community can celebrate the achievements of the entire youth program at one time.

April

April Fingerlos
Moscow, ID

>>> Tom Ivie <the_ivies3 at yahoo.com> 4/5/2006 10:03:08 am >>>
Actually,
  Whatever happened with the ice rink?  I have heard several ideas; move to Tidyman's, build a permanent building with a regulation size rink and keep the other for figure skating, etc.
  Does the horse arena at the fairgrounds ever get used? -Tom