[Vision2020] A Response to Chasuk

Aaron Rench arench at nsa.edu
Thu Sep 29 17:17:46 PDT 2005

DonaldH675 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/29/2005 4:06:00 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> arench at nsa.edu writes:
>
>     According to your own words, Wilson fits this definition of
>     neo-Confederate, which
>     means that he is guilty of rejecting "formal equality before the
>     law."
>     It's a nice euphemism for racism. Or maybe it was just in slip in
>     scholarship? Where are your peers, Nick? We need a review for this.
>
> I am certainly do not consider myself an academic peer of Dr. Gier.
> Nonetheless, I do have some questions of my own for you, Aaron.  In
> the film /My Town/, Doug, Steve, and George all agree that property
> owing men (and not others) should be allowed to vote.  Doug has
> frequently elaborated on his notion that the "head of household" is
> the voting voice for a family.  This excludes (generally) an
> opportunity for women/wives exercising an independent vote.  If
> citizens, all citizens, are not enfranchised how can they have an
> effective voice in shaping laws?  Formal equality before the law is
> not limited to racial exclusion, it is also a gender related issue.
> And, for the record, and quite distinct from Nick Gier's position, I
> have publicly stated that I do believe Doug is racist.  Perhaps you
> disagree.  Are you willing personally to publicly declare that you are
> not Neo-Confederate in ideology?  In what areas do you differ from a
> Neo-Confederate philosophy?
>
> Rose Huskey

Rose,

I know for a fact that Doug, Steve, and George do not believe that only
"property owning men" to the exclusion of women, should be allowed to
vote. If you can't understand and represent your opponent's position,
how can you dialogue? You have proven that the blinders are locked on
tight and that you are not able to step out from behind them to see what
other people are actually saying. To begin the de-tox process, I suggest
reading lots of poetry. It tends to cheer the soul.

With peers like these, who needs reviews?

Cheers,
Aaron