[Vision2020] Not a city resident

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 28 22:22:58 PDT 2005

"How many students at Moscow Jr. High and High School
leave the school grounds for lunch hour crossing a
city crosswalk?  I recall you complaining "loudly"
about the plans for a closed campus at the proposed
new high school, and now you appear to suggest
students be kept on school grounds for safety, as I
point out below."-- Ted Moffett

You are incorrect about my stance on an open campus
policy. I agree with parents being given the option of
allowing their teenage child permission to leave
campus. However, I was always for a closed campus on
the proposed new high school because of the traffic
problems that would be created around Good Sams,
McDonald, and the Junior High, not to mention the risk
of my fat ass cracking someone's windshield in trying
to get across Mountain View on my walks.

Students are not forced to leave campus and the school
district can provide chaperones. It is up the parents,
as always, whether they allow their child to leave
campus.

"MSD does not and would not provide crossing guards
for all students who cross at crosswalks in Moscow,
and this applies to students regardless of where their
homes are located."

Bullshit Ted. I know for fact they provide a crossing
guard for Lena Whitmore and West Park elementary
schools. So they can and they do. The fact that they
do not provide crossing guards on D St. is something I
disagree with.

"So you suggest students who may face bigotry or hate
crimes never leave the school grounds?"

I do not think any child should leave school grounds
during school time unless under the supervision of an
MSD employee or MSD approved chaperone, like police,
medical staff, or another student's parent on a field
trip.

As far as teenagers go, the school district should
provide the level of supervision off and on school
grounds as requested by the legal parent or guardian
of the child during school hours. If it is known that
a teenager may be a victim of crime, or a teenager or
their legal guardian believes they may be a victim of
a crime, the school district should provide chaperone.

"If you were a Moscow City Resident, most likely your
children would be attending MSD, or some other school
in Moscow.  If you did have children or grandchildren
attending Troy High School by virtue of you living
within the area that legally allows students to attend
that school, though you live outside the Troy City
limits, why should you not be involved in Troy City
issues that could impact your child?"

Have you noticed your questions having to be a page
long now Ted? It is because you are trying your best
to come up with bullshit reasons that someone outside
the city can mess with when I water my lawn or how
long the leash has to be on my dog without having to
follow those policies themselves because they live
outside the city.

A school has the ability to control the environment of
a school within a city regarding transportation,
safety, and the type and quality of instruction. If it
cannot, it can move the school out of the city, now
can't it Ted?

"What if students from Troy were coming into Moscow
harassing and/or bullying Moscow students?"

The MSD can keep non-students off the premise unless
they have a legitimate reason to be there, in other
words, MSD can keep the Troy students off their
campus.

Or, you can just call the state police and have the
kids arrested for truancy since they should be in
school in Troy.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold