[Vision2020] Thank you P & Z

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 25 10:39:12 PDT 2005

No, Pat, others doing exactly what I want is not my definition of
leadership.  Doing what's best for the city, not what's most
comfortable or politically expedient is my definition of leadership.  I
often disagree with Butch Otter (I am particularly angry about his
support for a Constitutional amendment banning gay marriage), but I
respect the fact that he's willing to take on his own party on issues
like the USA Patriot Act.  Butch has cojones.

About "grandfathering" NSA in its current downtown location -- would
you mind if the county grandfathered my moonshine still?  It's been in
continuous operation for twelve years, and the product is really
impressive -- smooth, Southern corn liquor.  Of course, it's illegal,
and if you drink a bad batch, you might go blind, but I spent all of
that money on a kettle and copper piping, and it's already there in the
old barn . . .

Listen, the compromise P & Z suggested would allow NSA to remain where
it is under certain reasonable conditions.  NSA would need to provide
its own parking for staff and students, and they would need to reserve
the first floor as commercial/retail space.  It's a good compromise.
NSA doesn't get the boot from downtown, which is the only thing that
would completely satisfy me, but they don't get it all their own way,
either.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com

PS: I don't really have a moonshine still.  Are you listening,
Jennifer?  No still!  I swear!