[Vision2020] Thank you P & Z

Kit Craine kcraine at moscow.com
Sat Sep 24 21:06:52 PDT 2005

In this instance, “permission” applies to two areas of law. One is land
use (i.e. comprehensive plan and zoning) which is signified by a ZONING
certificate (this means the USE is in compliance with the ZONING code).
The other is structural (i.e. building codes) which is signified by an
OCCUPANCY certificate (i.e. the STRUCTURE is in compliance with the
BUILDING code.) Theoretically, the City should issue a ZONING
certificate before it issues any building permits and an OCCUPANCY
certificate after the remodelling/construction is completed. Although
only one certificate may be sought (e.g. a buildings use changes but it
is not remodelled or it is remodelled but the use doesn’t change) BOTH
certificates are required by the code BEFORE a building can be used.

The problem with NSA is that the zoning certificate (if one has been
issued) is invalid because the USE is not in compliance with the code.

Uses and structures which are “grandfathered” were—at one point in
time—in compliance with the code. Subsequently, the code was changed so
the use, structure, or placement of the structure is no longer in
compliance. According to the code, the use and/or structure is allowed
to remain unchanged (i.e. not expanded) until it comes down (e.g. burns
down, falls down, is torn down) or is abandoned for a specified length
of time.

NSA does not, and never did, have a valid ZONING permit, as determined
by the Board of Appeals AND the City Council. As a result, it cannot be
“grandfathered” and the City has a legal obligation under the code to
command that it cease operations at its current site.

Moving NSA, as with other uses in the same situation, would be
expensive for the owner of the use. However, it is NOT the City’s
problem. State code explicitly exempts cities and city employees from
liability related to the granting/denying of permits. Perhaps there
needs to be a penalty to the city for bad permitting decisions, but
that’s not a local question; one must take that issue to our state
representatives.

The primary reason why the City cannot ignore the NSA use is that it
sets a precedent which will make it impossible for the City to enforce
the code against anyone. To put that into perspective, imagine that
someone establishes a bar, gambling parlor, and brothel next to your
house after getting the proper building permits (perhaps claiming a
different use) and an occupancy permit. They create all sorts of
problems, but you have no recourse because the city previously decided
that it will “grandfather” existing uses—legal or not—because a
scofflaw’s investment is more important than the neighbor’s legal
rights under the zoning code.

Kit Craine