[Vision2020] RE: Phil's Fact Checker?

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 17 20:43:16 PDT 2005

And then there are times when it might be nice to have somebody to check
facts.

Just as an example, I made a grave error in some of my postings suggesting
that there was one battalion of Engineers in the Louisiana National Giuard.
I would like to appoloigize to the list for that error.

There is not one Battalion of Engineers in the Louisiana National Guard,
there are four Battalions of Engineers in the Louisiana National Guard and
they form the 225th Engineering Group which is about a brigade in size.  And
even though the Governor for the State of Louisiana had a brigade worth of
people with all the heavy equipment that is able to repair or sustain and
keep levies from breaking, she did not call any of the members of the 225th
Engineering Group to come to duty until 7 am on the morning the levees
broke, which means that they woud take two to four days to gather their gear
and respond.  She has not yet called all the battalions of the 225th Group
to active duty, leaving the bulk of their Cats and loaders and dump trucks
and backhoes and excavators and other construction equipment idle.

The group's various units did serve in Iraq, but in 2004.  If in 2005 they
had been serving there, the kinds of equipment that Louisiana needs for
disaster relief would not have been in state.
http://www.la.ngb.army.mil/225th/index.htm

"Our state mission is to provide personnel and equipment in support of the
Governor, State of Louisiana, to safeguard life and property during disaster
and emergency operations.  Additionally, the Engineer Group provides
assistance to the community through community assistance programs and
community actions projects."

Phil Nisbet