[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White (September 16, 2005)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Sep 16 05:23:22 PDT 2005

Copied and pasted below is today's (September 16, 2005) UI Friday Letter
from UI President White.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends Sept. 16, 2005

Dear Friends,

University of Idaho researchers continue to be in the forefront in advancing
alternative fuels. That's evidenced by several events in Boise and Moscow. A
group of UI researchers and educators are presenting in Boise today an
alternative fuel workshop that focuses on cleaner-burning biodiesel fuel
with an emphasis on school bus fleet usage. Also, as part of the Alternative
Energy Festival at the Discovery Center this weekend, University of Idaho
students and faculty are showcasing the Volkswagen BioBug and a Dodge Ram
truck, both fueled on 100 percent biodiesel. Chemical engineering students
have their own alternative energy project on display; a shoebox-sized car
that uses hydrogen fuel cells as a power source.
It's a wonderful opportunity to see what our faculty and students are
accomplishing...ideas, innovation and inspiration.

Next week, the campus hosts a sustainable transportation conference and
workshop. Our National Institute for Advanced Transportation Technology
sponsors the event, and more than 160 participants will consider ways to
achieve environmentally friendlier transportation.
These efforts are important for our community and support the University's
goals of promoting science, technology and sustainability in an economic and
environmental sense.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:
The academic quality and size of UI freshman class hits a record.
This fall semester, 1,715 freshmen joined the University of Idaho, 50
percent of whom were in the top 25 percent of their high school classes.
This is a 4.4 percent increase compared to last year's entering freshman
class. UI's fall semester enrollment is 12,476 students statewide: up from
spring semester's 12,203 and down slightly from last fall's 12,824. "This is
a planned year of rebuilding, after a record number of students - 2,331 --
graduated last year," said Linda Morris, vice provost for academic affairs
and enrollment management. "I'm thrilled with the promise of our quality
freshman class, the increase in numbers of students of color, and I'm
optimistic the university's Plan for Renewal will build overall enrollment
by next year."

The 2005 Sherman J. Bellwood Memorial Lecture will feature Minnesota Supreme
Court Justice Alan C. Page. He will present the Bellwood Lecture Oct. 20 at
4 p.m. in the SUB Ballroom. The former Minnesota Viking earned a place in
the NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1988.

While still playing in the NFL, Page entered private practice with a major
law firm in Minneapolis, which led to a career of public service as
assistant attorney general for Minnesota. In 1993, he was elected to the
state's Supreme Court - the first African American elected to state office
in Minnesota. He is a champion of education, public service by the legal
profession and maintaining the independence and integrity of state
judiciaries.

The Division of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance received a
land-sale gift of approximately $190,000 from Elsie Krey Matthews. As a
result of the gift, the Human Performance Laboratory will double in size to
3,500 square feet and receive new equipment. The Elsie Krey and Richard I.
Matthews Endowment, which was established in 1996 for faculty and student
professional development, will be enhanced to more than $100,000. Finally,
the Elsie Krey and Richard I. Matthews Health, Physical Education,
Recreation and Dance Scholarship endowment fund will be created to recognize
student academic achievement.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy