[Vision2020] Facts and lying

Jim Meyer m1e2y3e4 at moscow.com
Thu Sep 15 23:58:54 PDT 2005

All,
Did you ever stop to think how as a community, or even as a country that
we accept lies and lying without so much as blinking? That facts don't
really matter? That the truth is too complicated to discern, too much
trouble? That popular culture doesn't know or care about the scientific
method? That popinjays are given more sway than someone who has
intelligently studied a subject? That people are willing to accept
partial truth without comment or calling bullshit, even if the intent of
the partial truth is to deceive?

I ask myself these questions in light of both national and local
controversies. Take your pick on the national level. On the local level,
why is it that whenever verifiable facts about Christ Church/NSA/Logos
are brought up--that the fact finders are vilified and the facts
ignored? Isn't it true that lying by commission and lying by omission
for the advantage of one group but at the expense of the overall
community, are if not moral sins, certainly are sufficient reason for
community members to distrust and investigate?

I applaud Rose and Saundra in their quest for the truth, but we as a
community need to do our part too. Both nationally and locally we cannot
afford to be complacent on many, many issues. We cannot afford to accept
lies and bullshit. And we shouldn't give even the time of day to the
popinjay, something we have done too often on this listserv.

Jim Meyer