[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White (September 16, 2005)

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 16 12:14:01 PDT 2005

"UI's fall semester enrollment is 12,476 students
statewide: up from spring semester's 12,203 and down
slightly from last fall's 12,824."--UI Presidential
Letter.

Humm, I guess when we compare this fall semester to
spring's semester it appears that enrollment is up.

But when you compare enrollment fall semester of 2005
to fall semester (like a normal person would for an
accurate measurement because enrollment is always less
in the Spring) of 2004, we lost 350+ students
statewide.

Maybe next year if enrollment declines even further
they can compare next year's fall enrollment to this
year's summer enrollment, that would be, WOW, a 100%
increase in enrollment. This is such a better approach
then dealing with the issue that UI is losing
enrollment.

My suggestion, do not require students to purchase
$1000 of worthless heath insurance and a $600 notebook
computer for $2000 on top of 10% increases in fees
(every year) while students get 0% increase in
financial aid for living expenses.

Donovan J Arnold