[Vision2020] John's Alley

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 10 12:22:54 PDT 2005

Dear Visionaries:

I have been taken to task, and rightfully so, for referring to John's Alley as one of Moscow's roughest bars.  I apologize.  I did not mean to insult John's Alley, nor to suggest that I was too pristine to have drink there.  I'm not.  What I meant was that it's not the Quiet Bar at the Best Western.  John's Alley hosts all the hot bands that come to town, a lot of college students go there, and (here's the kicker) it's right around the corner from The NuArt, temporary home of Atlas Academy Secret Boys' School, which is housed in the NuArt without a zoning permit or city permission.  John's Alley was there first.  Goodbye, Atlas.

I'd also like to add that if spit is all the NuArt is getting, they should consider themselves lucky.  I spent a year at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow, Scotland.  If the NuArt were located in such close proximity to any of that city's music bars, it would find itself festooned with used condoms and reeking of urine.  You're downtown, boys.  College kids booze and dance, and dance and booze, and then they wander up and down Main Street.  Get a grip on yourselves.  Pah-tooey on your pity party!

Yours sincerely,
Juana Hock-Aloogie

AKA Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com

PS: As many of you know, I've come to know and love the Slurp & Burp, a bar whose reputation was once quite dodgy.  No more!  The Slurp & Burp is now owned and operated by a young woman named Jessica Nelson-Sellers, and she has done wonders with the place.  I encourage you all to visit.  Monday is 75-cent taco night . . .