[Vision2020] Grain Exports

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 9 15:04:02 PDT 2005

Tom

Facilities for the import of oil do not exist on this system and since they
can and are most often sent by pipeline to coastal destinations where they
can and are indeed loaded from tankers, I wonder why you would suggest off

If your concern is that New Orleans is a major refining and shipping hub for
oil, then it should be very obvious to you that diversification of its
refineries to other coastal areas from in places like Savannah, Cherry Point
and a huge number of other locations wold have kept us from the very nasty
spike in gas prices we are now suffering from.

Try to remember this;

Pipelines cheaper than barges, cheaper than rail which is cheaper than
trucks.

Since bulk goods that are not liquid have a hard time being sent places in
pipelines, barges get used to send them to coastal areas for trans-shipment
to export markets or rail is used to move them to the barges and onward.  It
is in that bulk business in Grain that the Columbia system is engaged.

As for horse and buggy, the cost of such freight are not particularly
useful, though it does supply a nice stream of fertilizer.  But frankly,
many of the posts here on V2020 provide enough Horse sh-t that we wil never
be in need of that paticular commodity here on the Palouse.

Phil Nisbet